Monday, 27 March 2017

Review: Kaweco Fountain Pen

It's been a while since I last posted. I thought it would be good to pick it up where I left off and review these new fountain pens that I recently bought. 

I have two types of Kaweco Fountain Pens: the Classic Sport and the Skyline Sport. As far as I know, Classic Sport FPs have gold nibs and classic colours, like maroon, white, navy, black. Skyline Sport FPs have silver nibs and more colours, like mint, beige, pink and any other limited colours that there are. I heard that there are a nice pink and blue limited edition ones in HongKong. 


The top two FPs are skyline sport and the bottom FPs are classics. I don't think there is any difference between them. 


Lengthwise, it is shorter than both my Lamy + TWSBI. It's length is supposed to make it travel friendly, you know, easy to slip into pockets and all that. It feels alright in my hand, but I prefer my pens to be longer, I think. 


If I have a choice, I'd prefer all my FPs with gold nibs. I only have one Fine nib and 3 ExtraFine nibs. I have some trouble with the EF nibs at first. The ink seemed to spread too much on paper, which makes the nib look bolder than it is. 

I've since switched the ink out and refilled it again. But, as you can see on the photo below, there didn't seem to be much difference. 


Design wise: I like it better than the design of TWSBI Eco. Especially when it has matching gold clip. 

Price wise: Cheaper than Lamy/ TWSBI


So far, my stalogy is holding up my fountain pen writing very well, which is good, because I have been using FPs and dip pens on it a lot recently. 

I also want to take some time to talk about Kaweco squeeze converter. I couldn't get the piston one so I settled for the squeeze one. It works alright, but I never could get it to fill up full, until I start refilling the converter with a syringe. Which is so handy. Everyone should get a syringe for ink refills. Highly recommended!! 

Currently, I'm using my Lamy LX Rose Gold a lot. Indeed, I just got the Gold one too, and another batch of Lamy Al Star. I have a theory that the nibs of the Al Star is different from the Safaris. I'll check. 

Hope this has been informative!

No comments:

Post a Comment